Attention: Home Decor & Renovation Business Owners
There is no doubt that DIY home decor is one of the most popular topics on Pinterest. home av system is also popular in this sphere. Whether it’s doing a complete remodeling, finding the perfect rug from somewhere like Bazaar velvet, a renovation or tweaking small changes Pinners (especially the Millennials) have accumulated over 14 billion home idea pins (images) that reflect their; interests, experiences, values, and in many cases what they can afford. Pinterest has literally become their go to place for inspiration to architect the life they’ve always dreamed of for themselves and their family.
As for me personally I’ve been on Pinterest saving my favorite home decor designs for several months now while I wait for my new house to get built. I am a baby boomer and I can’t think of a better platform that I can use to help me plan my dream home.
Why Pinterest Should Matter to Your Business
If your business falls under the home decor category you would be foolish not to have a presence on Pinterest. Why? We know that the Millennials are Pinterest’s largest audience. And Millennials also make up the largest group of home buyers for the second year in a row according to a recent report by Chase and Pinterest. One of the most important questions you have to ask yourself as a business when deciding which on a social network to invest in is; where is my target audience researching, planning & shopping on line?
According to Amy Bonitatibus, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer for Chase Home Lending many home owners are jumping into plans to transform their fixer-uppers into their dream homes. Nearly 95% of the Millennials said they planned some kind of renovation in the next three years.
The report “Pins & Properties: Chasing Your Dream Home” reveals what ideas homeowners are searching for to upgrade their starter homes. Let’s begin!
What the Data Reveals About the Interests of Millennial Home Buyers:
- Acquiring a dream home may not always be possible for the millennials. In 2017, 89% of millennial buyers bought a previously-owned home because it is more affordable but also require improvements.
- Nearly 2/3 of millennials consider home buying a goal they are determined to reach in their lives.
- First-time homeowners are investing in fixer uppers, or starter homes, in order to make more substantial upgrades in the near and long-term.
- 70% of millennials believe buying a home is the best long-term investment you can make.
- Research into projects like closet overhauls have increased by over 7,000% in year-over-year search results.
- Homeowners looking to remodel are regularly searching Pinterest for creative inspiration and action, but are also actively considering important factors such as financial planning. These Pinterest users are more than 1.5x more likely to search for topics on budgeting.
- 75% plan to finance home renovation project, many tapping the equity in their home.
- 68% estimate they will spend at least $20K on a renovation.
Millennial Homeowners Turn to Pinterest for Affordable Creative Inspiration
- Buyers are turning to Pinterest for inspiration with big and small DIY projects “on a budget” up 300% from the previous year.
- While millennials prepare for a growing family, over 1.4x look for nursery design ideas.
- 1.5 x searches for financial planning tips.
- Keywords such as “Farmhouse decor on a budget” are up 700%.
- Keywords “Landscaping front yard on a budget” is up 200%.
- Keywords “Craft Room Ideas on a budget” is up 150%.
- Keywords “Walk In Dream Closets” is up by 7,000%.
Example of “on a budget” DIY home projects that appeal most to Millennials:
- Decor and personalization for DIY beginners
- Setting up a home gym for DIY intermediate
- Tile floors and bathroom countertops for DIY advanced
DIY Outdoor Curb Appeal
- Homeowners see their outdoor spaces as a prime makeover target – given budget scalability – and are coming to Pinterest to discover new, fresh outdoor makeover ideas.
- Millennial homeowners ranked “new landscaping” as their top choice for renovation space, over kitchens and bathrooms.
- Nearly 1/3rd ranked backyard as the top choice in what to look for when buying a new home.
- Searches for outdoor space and plant ideas have increased significantly in the past year.
- Hanging plants up 350%
- Hydrangea landscaping up 200%
- Planting succulents up 50%
Pinterest Expert Tip: The Best Way to Connect with Millennials is on Pinterest
As you can see all types of businesses have an opportunity to connect with the Millennial audience when they on line looking for ideas to remodel or renovate their home. By connecting with them in the early stages of their buying journey on Pinterest business professionals like financial planners, architects, contractors, renovators, interior designers, interior decorators, landscapers, painters, real estate agents and others will become their trusted advisors.
How do you do that? Think helpfulness.
This is where content marketing (your blogs or articles) become vital for driving traffic back to your website. We are not talking about product pushing here folks. Yes, of course you can blog about your products. But you need to focus on solving their most pressing problems. Remember no problems = no sales.
In addition make sure you create and curate content that matters to them throughout the year starting with:
- Outdoor spaces in January
- DIY workshop in February
- Spring mantle decor in March
- Front yard landscaping in April
- Deck decorations in May
- Exterior design in June
- Pool designs in July
- Dorm room decor in August
- Man caves in September
- DIY faux fireplace in October
- Christmas decorations in November
- KitchenAid Mixer tips and recipes in December
Pinterest Expert Anna Bennett Question: How Can I Help You?
If learning how to use Pinterest for business is overwhelming for you and you feel like you are going around and around with Pinterest and not getting anywhere please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, a Pinterest expert in management services and marketing expert. Not sure how to use Pinterest? My FREE Pinterest Marketing for Business online course is the best place to start.