Pinterest Top 100 Trends That Will Have People Talking About in 2019
One of the biggest goals for me as a Pinterest expert and for; businesses, affiliate marketers & bloggers is trying to trying to get new customers using Pinterest. How do we do that? As a business you want to be part of your customer’s buying journey on Pinterest from as many angles as possible as they discover content that will help them improve their lives.
As a Pinterest marketing expert and someone who oversees the Pinterest Management services at White Glove Social Media the first step in helping a business master the power of Pinterest is a consulting session with the business owner who is trying to decipher if Pinterest is right for them. That conversation can last anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Two scenarios seem to come up often.
1) These business owners have either abandoned their Pinterest account for several months if not years and want to get it re-activated and
2) They realize that their target audience is on Pinterest but they just don’t know where to start or know what to do. They simply don’t have the time to learn about Pinterest marketing and they realize it will cost them more money trying to figure it out their own vs. hiring an agency like ours to manage their account for them.
They are astonished to find out that even when they are not engaged on Pinterest and have absolutely done nothing to maintain their Pinterest presence that they still get traffic from Pinterest. That triggers them to take action since they realize there is potential there.
Many business owners don’t understand the mindset of Pinterest users. This is a new territory and there’s a lot to learn about Pinterest because it’s not your typical social media platform.
As a Pinterest expert I explain to business owners repeatedly that Pinterest is not a social media network, that it’s a search engine; it’s shocking to them. In addition, many think that just slapping product images on Pinterest is their only job and then voila they’re done! Umm, not quite.
Pinterest Users Are Trends Seekers
When the topic of “trends” comes up in our conversation they get excited about how they can leverage that information to their advantage. They didn’t realize that Pinterest users are trend seekers. I go on to explain about how they can use the trend reports to outcompete their competition.
As a Pinterest expert and Pinterest management services provider one of the biggest mistakes businesses make on Pinterest is they ONLY focus on their products and services. They don’t realize the importance of indirect selling. What do I mean by that? Indirect selling is creating or curating content that your target audience wants and needs that is outside of your direct product offering. It’s about showing them how to achieve their goal and solve their problems to build the kind of life they’ve always dreamed of. Winners on Pinterest connect with their audiences in a meaningful way for their entire shopping journey from discovery to purchase. Trust is vital for acquiring new customers. Trust starts with helping your audience. If all you do is push your products and talk about how amazing you are you will not win on Pinterest. Indirect selling and helpfulness are the keys to winning on Pinterest.
One of the ways to introduce your business to people and to start to building trust with them is to leverage Pinterest’s 2019 Top 100 Trends Report.
How Does Pinterest Decide What is a Trend?
On the official Pinterest blog they go on to say “If an idea keeps getting more and more searches each month, and that upward trajectory holds steady for 6+ months, then it’s an official Pinterest trend”.
These are the 10 categories that were chosen in the 2019 Top 100 Pinterest Trends Report:
- Health and wellness
- Hobbies and interests
- Kids and Parenting
- Men’s style
- Women’s style
In this blog post I’m going to reveal how to use this report to your advantage to help you stay ahead of the curve, and beat your competition. When looking at these trends for ask yourself:
- How you can you take this idea to make it your own?
- What products and services can you add to your future inventory?
- How can you feature them prominently on your website or brick and mortar stores?
Some of these ideas will be a no brainer for you especially if you’re business falls under one of the top 10 categories in this report. But what happens if you’re in home decor, how can you recreate these ideas to make them work for your business?
Since there are 100 ideas on this list so I’m going to limit my Pinterest expert tips to three here in this post and then give you some ideas on how you can apply them directly to your blogs and product inventory:
- Health and Wellness Trend #17: searches for band workouts up 1913%
- For the home decor vertical: Interior designers and DIY bloggers can create a DIY Home Gym featuring how to hang the flexible bands.
- For the hotel industry: Hotels that don’t have a gym can make flexible bands available and using Pincodes to share workout tutorials that travelers can do in their hotel room.
- For DIY crafters: Some flexible bands come in wide materials. How about creating a tutorial on how to heat transfer vinyl on plastic/rubber.
- Hobbies and Interests #26: searches for chalk art up 664%
- Kids and Parenting vertical: create DIY projects with your kids
- Photographers: can create a chalk art background as a backdrop for people
- Health and wellness vertical: create non-toxic chalks
- Technology: create wallpaper for iPhone
- Home Decor: create removal wall decals
- Celebrations #33: Searches for donut decor for edible party displays is up 748%
- DIY crafters: create donut theme printables, thank you cards, party accessories, etc/
- Health and wellness: create a gluten free or healthy version of donuts
- Home Decor: create wallpaper or wall art
- Women’s Fashion: create t-shirts with donut designs, flasks and handbags shaped like a donut
- Men’s Fashion: create socks with donut designs
- Celebrations: create a heart shaped donut for Valentine’s
Pinterest Expert Actionable Tip:
- Every person on your team should repin the images of all the 100 ideas from my Pinterest Trends 2019 Board to their own secret boards.
- Have everyone on your team come up with ideas of how you can dovetail the ideas for your business vertical by using the comment section. You can also have a brainstorming session if that works better for you. Each person must come up with two ideas: blog content and new product inventory.
- If you own a brick and mortar store decide when to feature the products in your stores. For example, start featuring donuts as part of your spring collection in pretty pastel and bright colors.
It was actually a lot of fun to come up with these ideas. Creating a strategy is one of the things I love best about being a Pinterest management expert. If you’re stuck coming up with ideas for your business consider my one on one coaching sessions. I’d love to help you out.
Regardless of the demographics your business caters to look at Pinterest as a catalogue of ideas that connects people based on common interests. Bottom line: Winning big on Pinterest means giving your customers what they want, love and need for the future that they can take action on.